GOYDER, John C.
Ph.D. Sociology (McMaster)
M.A., Sociology (McMaster)
B.A. Economics and History (Bishop's)
Office: PAS 2063
Telephone: 519-885-1211, ext 32643
Social Inequality, Survey Research Methods, Work and Technology, Education
Research and Teaching Areas:
- Social Science Methodology - Soc. 697 and (occasional) Soc. 321, Soc. 712
- Social Inequality - Soc. 315
- Technology and Social Change - Soc. 232
- Waterloo as Knowledge Society - Soc. 339
- Social Identity - Soc. 412
Selected Publications and Presentations:
- Goyder, John (2009). The Prestige Squeeze: Occupational Prestige in Canada Since 1965. McGill - Queen's University Press. Winner of the 2010 Porter Prize.
Survey Research Methods
- Goyder, John (1987).The Silent Minority: Nonrespondents on Sample Surveys. Polity Press/Westview Press.
- Goyder, John, and Claire Durand. 2008. "The Prestige of Survey Research." Canadian journal of marketing Research 24:22-31.
Work and Technology
- Goyder, John (2005). Technology and Society: A Canadian Perspective. (2nd edition) Broadview Press.
Project on rating Canadian Sociology Departments:
A Behavioural Approach to Ranking Academic Departments by Prestige: The
Case of Sociology in English-Speaking Canada
Report on Skills and Employment of UW Arts Students and Graduates:
Arts Outcomes: Examining the Skills and Careers of Graduates From The Faculty of Arts at the University of Waterloo
Paper on post-secondary transitions, SSHE Conference, Montreal, December 2009:
From Levels to Combinations: Examining New Vocational Strategies Within Post-Secondary Education
In the areas of survey design, fieldwork, and analysis
Archived Occupational Prestige Data
Available through UW library